Name:
Location: Wilayah Persekutuan, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Friday, May 19, 2006

Gâteau au chocolat mi-cuit numéro- Molten Chocolate Cake




Special thankz to La Tartine Gourmande for some new and great recipes!! just want to share a really great recipe. try it.. itz easy to make and it taste like the world is in your mouth.. go ahead and try.. enjoy =p

We say in French une dernière ligne droite, meaning a last run before the end. Chocolate week is about to end.

Comparison test #2 - Molten Chocolate Cake

Take the same idea, change the background a little with a few things here and there, basically just do as if you had a dress that you buy in different colours (well, I am a guy eh, and yes I acknowledge, I do that kind of things), and so then you are able to enjoy it every day, but somehow differently, because it is slightly different. Become a chocolate tester.

Ready for the second chocolate cake recipe? I am. And I already know which one is my favorite, because I ate a few of both batches.


In my search of the perfect coulant au chocolat noir (Melting Chocolate Cake, from the French verb couler = [to run, to melt]), I lay my eyes on the recipe that follows, from my current favorite cookbook, Tentations. In 3 words, it.was.perfect. In reality, there are a few criteria that matter, including finding the exact, perfect amount of cooking time for the cakes. Too long, too cooked? Not long enough, undercooked? In a way, better undercook than cook too much. And depending on your oven, it might take you a few times until you have this perfectly tuned. Once it is however, you are not disappointed.

Of the 2 recipes tried I preferred this one. (+ 1 after Sunday, see below)

I decided to add white chocolate pieces instead of the dark chocolate suggested, to create that gooey chocolate inside. Because it was just fun to play with different colours and textures. So what is so different about this cake?

Fleur de sel

There are variations on how many eggs you need, the amount of butter, but mainly what I loved about this recipe was eating the cake with sprinkled fleur de sel: a fabulous plus to the taste. Try it!

So if you remember recipe #1, for 6 cakes, I was using 4 eggs. For this recipe you use half, ie 2 eggs (large though). Less chocolate used, but more butter, a little less flour and sugar.

I also tried another recipe , with a pistachio coulant and I loved everything about it as well. And now I feel I am in a chocolate coma.




You need:

(for 6 small cakes)

110 g dark chocolate
115 g butter
2 large eggs
60 g flour
80 g sugar
Grated extra chocolate (or cut in small pieces)
Fleur de sel

Steps:

Preheat your oven at 400F (200C).
Melt the chocolate and butter using the bain-marie technique.
Greased 6 individual molds (silicone or large muffin pan).
Use an electric mixer to mix together the eggs with the sugar, until your preparation has a nice light white colour.
Add the flour and mix well.
Add the melted chocolate and mix.
Pour in the molds and add the extra pieces of crushed chocolate in the preparation.
Place in the oven for about 12-13 mns and take out.
Let cool down a bit before unmolding.
Sprinkle with fleur de sel and for the rest, you truly know what to do!

Any difference? Yes it is lighter!

Note: Are you tired of measurements in grams? ounces? cups? Everything? I am! A real nightmare for me if you want my opinion. I just cannot remember what is what and keeps going back to online conversion tool such as Google (just type in convert x ounces in grams) or charts! And thank God for my scale using the 2 measurement systems, which does the work for me. Yet, not good enough. So what about I try to work out a little measurement convertion sheet for all of us? (in the coming weeks). Are you up for that? Useful? Yes? No?

As for today’s recipe, here is what the convertions are:

110 g dark chocolate = 4 oz
115 g butter = 4 oz or 8 tbsp
2 large eggs = duh, the same!
60 g flour = 6 tbsp
80 g sugar = 6 tbsp


Do your maths!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home